A lot of my clients ask how to send an autoresponder. An autoresponder is an email message that is automatically sent to a customer when they email a particular email address. So, for instance, you might have a pdf mediakit you want your customers/clients to receive. You would set up an email address JUST for your mediakit like “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Then set up your autoresponder with your message and URL link to your mediakit so when clients email that address, they’ll automatically get your mediakit and you won’t have to be bothered with that task. Very convenient!
Here are instructions for creating a FREE autoresponder in Godaddy (the host I recommend most!):
- Log into your Godaddy account
- Click My Account, click the Email in the left-hand column
- Create a free email address for use ONLY with your autoresponder such as email@example.com. Every time this email address is emailed to, it will send an autoresponse. Help on creating email addresses on Godaddy: http://community.godaddy.com/help/3605
- Once your email address is created and you’re on the Email management screen, click the Manage Account link next to your new email address. On the next screen, click the Edit Email Address icon/button to the right of your email address.
- In the window that pops open, click the Auto Reply tab.
- Check the box “Use Auto Responder”
- In the text area, type in the message you want your user to receive. It must include a link to your online media kit file (such as a pdf or website URL).
- Select “Custom Subject” and enter the subject line.
- most other settings will be fine left as-is.
- Click OK.
- Give the email server 30 minutes to update, then test your new autoresponder by emailing to your new email address. If you set it up correctly, you will automatically receive an email with your message and link to file.
That’s it! EZPZ!